Monday, March 22, 2010

I bought a bicycle last Thursday. I live in downtown Toronto and was looking for a fast way to get around the city. As everyone living in Toronto knows the TTC is definitely not a fast way to get around the city. The TTC is the Toronto Transit Commission and their slogan is "the better way" although I am not quite sure what they are comparing when they say "better way"...better than a horse and carriage? better than hopping on one foot?

Anyway....

My bicycle is tangerine coloured. It is a cruiser bike. I bought a wicker basket for the front that has a floral liner in it. My helmet is "shocking pink". NO one is going to miss me on the road.

This evening I had a bit of a dilemma. It was my first day riding to work and then part way through the afternoon it started to rain. I couldn't decide if I wanted to bike home in the rain or leave my bike at work. The main reason I was so torn was because I know it is going to pour rain tomorrow and I was more concerned about having my bike home to ride to work on Wednesday morning.

I bit the bullet and decided to ride home in the rain. The pluses? I was pretty much alone on the road in terms of other cyclists, so I was not constantly being passed. I have no problem being passed but as a new rider it makes me a little bit nervous to share my bike lane when I am already terrified about being hit by a car.

The minuses? My soaking wet pants and shoes.

Was it worth it? Hell yeah!!!

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Haely Bop said...

Yay for riding in the rain! It will probably be the first of many. And actually, I don't mind it either for the reasons you said. yes, you get soaked right through, BUT, what's not to like about taking a hot bath and having some tea or hot chocolate to warm up once you are home, right?